I started Amare By Heidi because I believe most people are at the least moderately concerned about the environment. I also believe that most people want to do better and make more eco-friendly choices but don’t know where to start.
In fact, many people stop short at recycling. Not because they don’t care, but because doing more feels overwhelming, or they fear it will be inconvenient, hard, or expensive.
Big change is hard. It’s why we are all stuck in our bad habits. Sadly, I still bite my nails at 38 years old! Yet, small incremental changes are less overwhelming, and therefore, more achievable.
For example, it would be really hard for me to build a house by myself. In fact, I would give up before I even left the hardware store. However, I would be encouraged and highly-motivated to build a house as part of Habitat for Humanity.
What if we looked at sustainability through the same communal lens? What if we believed that our seemingly small change would make a huge global impact?
With this intention, we can look at eco-friendly changes as a community effort, not an individual burden. Think about it this way, there are 7.7 Billion people in the word (2019), let’s round it up to 8 Billion for the sake of easy math. If we each make a 1% conscious change it would result in an 8 Billion Percent change globally.
Will you pledge 1%?
- water bottles
- milk jug
- wine bottles
- soda/beer bottles
- Paper Products
- cereal boxes
- toilet paper cardboard roll
- misc. paper
- soda cans
- tin cans
- steel cans
Make the Swap
- Plastic water bottles for stainless steel bottles
- Plastic baggies for stainless steel food containers
- Plastic utensils for reusable silverware
- Use 100% compostable utensils and plates for parties
- Disposable coffee cups for a thermos or reusable mug
- Plastic wrap for reusable food wraps
- Say no to straws or use reusable straws
- Plastic grocery bags with cloth bags
- Paper napkins for cloth
- Non-stick cookware with stainless steel or cast iron
- Plastic razors with eco-friendly
- Plastic toothbrush with bamboo toothbrushes
- Liquid soap in plastic bottles with bar or decorative dispensers.
- Disposable coffee pods with a french press
Food & Diet
- Buy less
- Repair jewelry instead of throwing it way
- Repair clothes instead of throwing away
- Shop secondhand
- Host a clothing swap
- Upcycle clothes to create something new
- Rent clothes, i.e. Rent the Runway or Letote
- Line dry your clothes
- Buy from sustainable brands: like this or this
- Wash clothes less
- Watch At What Cost on Netflix
- Learn about sustainable fabrics
- Wash clothes in cold water with cold-water formulated detergent