Lasagna isn’t usually synonymous with healthy. Conversely, you may only consider lasagna for a special occasion or “cheat” meal. That’s not the case in our house. Because this lasagna comes loaded with nutritious vegetables, minimal cheese, and is packed full of protein, we have lasagna at least once a month.
Did I mention this lasagna is high in protein? Noodles have come a long way from being a nutrient-lacking, fast-burning carb. You can now get a variety of noodles made from a variety of high-protein ingredients, such as, red lentils, chickpeas, edamame, black beans and more!
For this recipe, use the Explore Cuisine Organic Green Lentil Lasagne Noodles. These don’t require boiling beforehand, are certified Gluten Free, and a 2 oz serving has 11 grams of protein.
From start to finish this dish takes just about an hour, but aside from cutting and assembly most of that time is cooking time. This recipe also works great with store-bought pasta sauce, but I prefer making my own as per the recipe below. The sauce recipe was inspired by Primavera Kitchen. I just add more spices to mine. I highly recommend her Spinach and Lasagna Recipe.
Start by slicing the zucchini and roasted red pepper into thin slices. Slice the zucchini lengthwise. I used to leave the bell pepper in large flat pieces, but I found cutting them into thin rings works better for assembly and eating!
While the vegetables are roasting, start the sauce. This will need to simmer for about 25 minutes to really get the flavors to pop. The vegetables will finish roasting before the sauce is done. Take them out of the oven and set aside to cool for easier assembly.
Begin the layers with a little sauce in the bottom of the pan. This will prevent sticking. Place a layer of the green lentil noodles first, followed by a layer of zucchini, sauce, and then cheese. Add another layer of noodles.
Next, add the layer of red bell peppers – there is only one. Add sauce and cheese to the red pepper layer. Repeat with the zucchini layer. Finish with sauce and cheese on top.
Cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite veggie side. I love to pan sauté broccolini.
Healthy Roasted Veggie Lasagna
- 1 8oz Explore Organic Green Lentil Lasagna Noodles
- 3 Lrg Zucchini
- 1 Lrg Red Bell Peppers
- 16 oz Mozzarella Cheese (Shredded)
- 4 cups Spinach
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1/2 onion diced
- 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Tyme
- 2 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil (chopped)
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Slice Zucchini in lengthwise in thin 1/4 inch slices. Slice Red Bell Pepper into thin rings. Coat vegetables in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, start the sauce.
- Saute onions and garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat until onions are translucent. Add Tomato paste, stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, spices, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Vegetables will likely be finished 10 minutes before the sauce. Remove vegetables and set aside to cool.
- Add spinach to the sauce. Fold into the tomato sauce and cook for another few minutes until spinach is soft and cooked
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees
- In a glass rectangle dish, add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of the dish to prevent sticking. Start layering. Start with green lentil pasta, add layer of zucchini opposite direction of pasta, layer of cheese. Add another layer of sauce.This time add the Red Bell Pepper followed by Mozarella cheese. Repeat Zucchini layer. Leave enough sauce and cheese for the very top. Cheese should be your last layer.
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until cheese looks fully melted and lasagna appears cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes
Show us your Roasted Vegetable Lasagna successes! Post on social media with the #amarerecipes!