Every year as summer draws to a close parents, teachers and kids prepare for back to school. On average, parents spend $670 on back to school supplies – per kid!! Gulp. That’s a lot of money.
Most traditional school supplies are made from one-use plastics and turn into landfill waste before the school year is even over. Think about it, have you ever recycled a pen after the ink ran out?
This year make your hard-earned money go further and help save the planet too. We’ve picked our favorite eco-friendly back to school supplies. Best of all, these items can all be found on Amazon so you can do all your back to school shopping without standing in a single line.
- Art of Lunch Neoprene Reusable Lunch Bags – Send your kids back to school in style with these art inspired lunch bags. They come in a variety of designs – twenty to be exact! Therefore there’s bound to be one that speaks to your child’s individuality.
- Tiblue Reusable Storage Bags – Replace the single-use plastic sandwich and snack bags with these extra-thick, BPA free reusable bags. The 10 pack provides 6 standard sandwich bags and 4 snack bags. All eco-friendly and easy to clean.
- BriGenius Bento Box – Rather have one container to clean than individual baggies? This 5-compartment eco-friendly bento box is perfect for packing meals healthy for you, your kids and the environment. The BPA-free lunch container is even dishwasher safe.
- S’ip by Swell – Make hydrating fun and easy with this 10-oz reusable water bottle. These compact bottles have a leak-free top so kids can toss them into their backpack without damaging their schoolwork.
- Honbay 3-Piece Cutlery – Keep your kitchen cutlery set intact and teach your kids to pass on the plastic utensils. This utensil set is made out of wheat straw. They are safe, eco-friendly and small enough to fit in their Neoprene Reusable Lunch Bag.
Also See: Your Guide to Sustainable Shopping
Eco-Friendly School Supplies
- Onyx 5 subject spiral notebook – This back to school season save a tree without compromising note-taking. These spiral-bound notebooks are made from sustainable sugarcane paper.
- Recycled & Sustainable Supply Kit – Get everything on your kid’s back to school list in this easy kit. Includes, fabric pencil case, recycled page dividers, arrow and regular post-its, corn-plastic pens, and more!!
- Eco Highlighter Pencils – Millions of highlighters are used every day but rarely recycled. That all changes with these wood pencil highlighters made from sustainable wood. Furthermore, they are biodegradable, and since the ink won’t dry out, they last longer than their traditional counterparts.
- Pilot B2P Gel Roller Pens – These pens are made from recycled water bottles. Now you can feel great about saving the planet while your kids can feel confident doing their homework.
- Sprout Plantable Graphite Pencils – Take your kid’s education beyond the classroom with these pencils. Simply plant the old pencils upside down and watch them grow into herbs!