What a crazy world we live in?! From the grind of the 9 to 5 and everything else in between, it is so easy for the mind and body to become imbalanced.
Each one of us has a unique signature, our “sign” that requires a different blueprint of self-care. Yoga, meditation, dance, a good laugh, hanging with family and friends are all great ways to unwind. Additionally, aromatherapy can be used to decompress and restore balance.
What is Aromatherapy? It is the holistic therapeutic application of genuine essential oils for health and well being.
Aromatherapy and astrology are at opposites ends of the spectrum. But if you understand the unique traits and challenges of each sign, you can choose the essential oil(s) that meets the emotional, mental and physical needs of the individual.
This month, I handpick essential oils and a “suggested” method of application for each of the signs. Don’t limit yourself to only your sign. Get inspired and chose essential oils to help you live your best life!
Leo (Jul 23 – Aug 22) – Petitgrain
- You love to pamper yourself, so treat yourself to a wonderful aromatherapy massage. It will make you feel like the royalty that you are. You can create your own blend by using a 1-ounce bottle of carrier oil (almond, sunflower, or apricot kernel) and use 15 drops of organic Petitgrain essential oil.
- Petitgrain is earthy, relaxing, soothing, delicate and refreshing.
Virgo (Aug 23 – Sep 22) – Neroli
- Since cleanliness is important to you, take a nice hot bubble bath and add 5 to 7 drops of organic Neroli essential oil to the bathwater. Allow your analytical mind to take a break. Afterwards, adorn your body with soft, white luxurious loungewear to channel your inner virgin.
- Neroli is lightly hypnotic, euphoric, fresh, floral, and sweet.
Libra (Sep 23 – Oct 22) – Lemongrass
- Diffuse a few drops of Lemongrass essential oil in a cool-mist humidifier to bring focus to a major decision you need to make. Trust that you will decide what is right for you. If you do not own a humidifier, you can inhale directly from the bottle, or place a few drops on a cotton ball or handkerchief 2 to 3 times a day or as needed.
- Lemongrass is clean, antimicrobial, strong, and an immune stimulant.
Scorpio (Oct 23 – Nov 21) – Vetiver
- Have you been suffering from small bouts of insomnia lately? Vetiver can encourage a good night sleep. Consider investing in a Vetiver scented pillow insert. Want a DIY solution? You can create the same effect by placing a few drops of vetiver on a cotton ball and tuck it inside the corner of the pillowcase.
- Vetiver is earthy, warm, deep, grounding, and introspective.
Sagittarius (Nov 22 – Dec 21) – Tea Tree
- Try an aromatic reflex massage versus a traditional massage to tap into your adventurous side! You can use Tea Tree “neat” (under the care of a licensed practitioner) on certain pressure points to keep your mind and body ready for the next escapade.
- Tea Tree oil is spicy, warm, stimulating and an anti-inflammatory.
Capricorn (Dec 22 – Jan 19) – Jasmine
- Work is demanding. Take a staycation at a luxurious resort to wind down your demanding workweek. Utilize the amenities to the fullest by going to the sauna and mixing approximately 5 drops of Jasmine essential oil, as best you can, in the water used over the rocks or coals. This will release a beautiful aroma that will ease the worries away.
- Jasmine is rich, floral, exotic, and an aphrodisiac.
Aquarius (Jan 20 – Feb 18) – Geranium
- Because you love to stand out, having the option to wear aromatherapy jewelry excites you! Look for neck pendants or earrings designed to disperse essential oils as needed. Consider Geranium essential oil. It is a tonic for the body.
- Geranium is fresh, green, strong, balancing, and up-lifting.
Pisces (Feb 19 – Mar 20) – Lavender
- You have a tender sympathy for pets. If it were up to you, every stray would have a home with you. If your dog seems anxious use aromatherapy as a way to soothe your fur baby. Take one cup of coconut oil and 1-2 drops of organic Lavender essential oil. Place a small amount in your hand and rub along your dog’s coat. Before long, your fur baby will be in heaven from your loving touch and healing oils.
- Lavender is floral, sweet, antiseptic, balancing, and an anti-depressant.
Aries (Mar 21 – Apr 19) – Peppermint
- The head is ruled by Aries, so the Ram may be susceptible to headaches. Make a quick massage oil by combining ½ ounce of coconut oil and 15 drops of organic Peppermint essential oil. Gently massage this oil into your scalp for relief.
- Peppermint is fresh, menthol, clean, cooling/warming, and an analgesic.
Taurus (Apr 20 – May 20) – Cardamon
- You have a fondness for all things beautiful so spruce up your sacred space with some gorgeous silk and paper flowers. Chose your favorite flower vases and add a few drops of Cardamom essential oil to the flowers. This will immediately bring warmth to the space.
- Cardamon is warming, sweet, spicy, and an aphrodisiac.
Gemini (May 21 – Jun 20) – Rosemary
- Plagued with writer’s block? Create a room spray with Rosemary essential oil to spark creativity for that new writing project you are working on. Fill a sprayer bottle (half pint) with warm water, add 10 drops of Rosemary essential oil, and shake. Spray high in the air when you need a mental boost.
- Rosemary is fresh, herbaceous, vibrant, stimulating, and memory aid.
Cancer (Jun 21 – Jul 22) – Cedarwood
- Take a road trip to a cabin in the woods with your boo! Don’t forget to pack the Cedarwood essential oil because Cedarwood will set the mood for a romance. Before starting a fire, place 1 drop of essential oil on up to 3 logs. After an hour, start a fire and enjoy the sensual aroma of the Cedarwood.
- Cedarwood oil is soothing, woody, warm, and a sedative.
Follow Ebony for fashion and vintage inspiration @Fly_Frugalista
***The material presented in this article is not meant to take the place of diagnosis and treatment by a qualified medical practitioner. Any application of the recommendations outlined in this post is at the reader’s risk. Essential oils are to be used at the reader’s discretion. The author and owner of this magazine disclaim any liability arising directly or indirectly from the use of this post and assume no responsibility for any actions taken***
Worwood, Susan and Worwood, Valerie Ann. Essential Aromatherapy: A Pocket Guide to Essential Oils. Novato: New World Library, 1995, 2003, Print